Sunday, March 16, 2014

FTM2014 - Historic Canadian Place Name

One of my Facebook friends posted this:
The places are Port-Royal (today Annapolis Royal), Beaubassin (no longer exists as a village) and Chipoudy/ie to name a few
FTM2014 wasn't working for this person using the place name.

Since I knew this was a historic place name, and I certainly don't know that much about Canada, I went to Wikipedia and did a search for "Port Royal" paused while the search caught up to me and saw Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Royal,_Annapolis_County,_Nova_Scotia

I read the information in that Wikipedia then put Port Royal into a Place in FTM2014. It showed me that it was an Unresolved place name so I clicked on the ICON to the right end of the place name.


Don't think that Pennsylvania was the one I wanted, but none of the rest helped either. BUT, what if I added Nova Scotia after a comma.
Port Royal, Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia, Canada is right, but I don't want to loose the Port-Royal. So, I move it up to the "Place detail (historical name, address, church, cemetery, etc) field.


Look what I got when I clicked on Search: Annapolis, Nova Scotia.


I accepted (Replaced) what I had and now have the right place.

The question came about because of the Map Feature. So, what does the Map say about this place?



In the Place Workspace, Map view, it's under the country of Canada, Nova Scotia, Annapolis, and that pin point is very, very close to the map that is on Wikipedia.

I went back to Wikipedia for Beaubassin, that doesn't exist any more, but I was able to pin point in FTM2014 that location.


Yes, it does take some work, outside of Family Tree Maker, BUT, on the Ariel View in FTM2014 that pin will be just about where that Historic Place WAS located.

_______________________________________________________________
Copyright © 2014 by H R Worthington

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly