Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lesson Learned with Good Citations

As you may know, I am cleaning up my Sources and Citations. Moving the "Free Form" Source information into the Template Feature, and the prompts when entering data into the Citation Detail Screen.

When you have a screen full of Citations, in from a specific Source, some times patterns don't show up when working on a specific Source.

I was just cleaning up the 1850 Census for Baltimore County, Maryland. Had gathered these Census Records over time, but failed to notice a specific pattern. When I finished the 3rd entry for this Source (1850, Maryland, Baltimore County) I saw something that I hadn't seen before.


Three Citations, each from District 1, on page 374-A, but look at the Dwelling and Family Numbers. The folks are on the SAME Page, and were neighbors. When I had looked at these census records the first time, I guess I didn't look at the full page, or to use the F.A.N. (Friends, Acquaintance, and Neighbor) method of research. But, I may not have known about that "back then".

Lesson learned: A properly written Citation, may help with your research. Had I done proper Citations earlier, I might have seen this connection earlier. I wonder how many more I will find.

This was an "unknown" feature, for me, of Family Tree Maker.


________________________________________________________________

 Copyright © 2012 by H R Worthington

2 comments:

  1. I always look at neighbors in case they are the in-laws . Broke through many cases that way (-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magda,

    I do too, now. Those records, I haven't looked at for years, a couple at least, and may or my not looked at the Census using the F.A.N. way of searching.

    Great Suggestion.

    Thank you,

    Russ

    ReplyDelete

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly